Friends in the same game?

General conversation and discussion about the game, feedback and suggestions

Moderators: psantos, llandeiro

Friends in the same game?

Postby Herman Von Salza » Fri May 18, 2012 1:20 am

The second question is about getting other people in the same friend. For Now I am still starting out and playing the Kingdom of Six. But when I am done I would like to play one of the bigger scenarios.

In Grepolis there was an option to invite friends so that they could start out close to your location on the map when it starts. Anything like that here?

Do you automatically end up close to each other if you choose to play a scenario almost at the same time or is the location random?

Re: Friends in the same game?

Postby urraca » Sat May 19, 2012 3:11 pm

Yes, when I choose in the game that has Europe, I could choose exactly the country I wanted to play. In other big game (War of Thrones) I could not see the map to choose...

Postby psantos » Sat May 19, 2012 6:48 pm

We have two types of Maps:

Pre-made maps (which include all historical scenarios and Land of the Six): The player sees the game map and can choose a Land. It is very easy in this case for friends to choose to play in the same alliance (that in this case initially represent historical Kingdoms and Empires.

Dynamic Maps (War of Thrones, Almansur Battlegrounds, etc): These are fantasy games where the map is created specifically when each player joins the game, and the generated terrain depends on the chosen race. In this case, there is no guaranty that people will be near each other even if choosing Lands at the same time.

We are planning to add a buddy feature, where buddies will be able to play together in dynamic maps.

Postby Herman Von Salza » Fri May 25, 2012 4:18 am

Ok, thanks for the info.

Postby Herman Von Salza » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 am

Ok one follow up question. Sorry for the amount of messages today but we just finished a scenario and I had time to think about the game and try to find out about some things.

Is there a way to tell who you are playing against? Not their assumed name of the country they are playing this game but rather the nick of the person playing?

In this game I have encountered some people I would not mind playing along side in future ones, but it seems silly for me to be writing messages to everyone along the lines of: are you one of these people?...

Equally I have encountered some people who have played in a less perfect manner, and while this is only a game I know now that making alliances with some of those people is a big risk. There is a lot of players so it is possible I never run into the same people, but finding out who is who could be interesting and useful in these situations.

So can I find this information inside the game? Or perhaps you prefer players dont know too much about that?

Postby psantos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:35 pm

Well, on one hand, it is a design feature that the identity of the players you are playing against is only revealed at the end of the game. This is to avoid revenge-play, a give a fresh start everytime you start a game.

On the other hand, we have planned a "buddy" feature, where you can befriend players you liked to play with, and then keep in touch. Unfortunately, as usual, implementation of new features moves much sloooooweeeeeeer than I would like it to...

Postby Tonic » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:42 pm

Yes, would be really nice to be able to contact players directly (outside of games).

Not knowing the identity of other players in the scenario is ok, acutally a good idea.

@Herman, by the way, playing in WOT 5 right now? :-)

Postby Herman Von Salza » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:51 am

Tonic wrote:Yes, would be really nice to be able to contact players directly (outside of games).

Not knowing the identity of other players in the scenario is ok, acutally a good idea.

I grudgingly agree ;) Yeah I guess it is just a game, though it would make sense to allow messages to other players within the almansur game even when outside of actual games.

@Herman, by the way, playing in WOT 5 right now? :-)

No, I wanted to try a historical game this time. So I am still waiting.

Postby Tonic » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:01 pm

Ok, so I don't have to be careful running in to you at WOT V. ;-)

Well, if a historical game comes up and you want some trustworthy guys on your side, let me know. I'll send you a mail with my adress.

@psantos - I just noticed that it is possible to get the email adress of members posting here by clicking on the "email" button ... even when not logged in!
Shouldn't this at least be restricted to logged-in members of the forum?

Regards,
Tonic

Postby Herman Von Salza » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:31 pm

Tonic wrote:Ok, so I don't have to be careful running in to you at WOT V. ;-)

No, but even if you did though we were on different sides in the last game I had no problems with your actions or tactics. I have no problem with people who are my enemies in the game, I dislike people who suddenly turn on you.

I guess its part of the game as in real life, the only thing is in the last game I saw this in a couple of cases happen again and again with a player essentially turning on every ally he had and trashing every agreement they made. I know it is just a game but I suspect a player like that will keep using the same tactics in every game. Hence I would prefer to know who I am dealing with. But the "makers" logic of not giving the information about player identity for precisely this reason is sound, and though I may run into the situation again I guess in the long run having full information would put an unrealistic tinge on the game. There could be instances when you go against your natural allies because you dont trust the player.

Tonic wrote: if a historical game comes up and you want some trustworthy guys on your side, let me know. I'll send you a mail with my adress.

Sure, still waiting on a historical scenario (hint hint any news psantos)

Next

Return to The Round Table