New scenario proposal

General conversation and discussion about the game, feedback and suggestions

Moderators: psantos, llandeiro

New scenario proposal

Postby Tonic » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:04 am

Hi!

Maybe you have thought about it before or good reasons not to do it. BUT ... I would propose / request some new map/scenario to freshen things up!
I like the game mechanics of Almansur, but would really enjoy some new "paint" from time to time.

And (after my vacation), I would even volunteer to do some work (like research, playtesting etc) to make it happen. I'm not an IT-guy though, so I cannot do any coding. ;-)

At roughly the same time as the almansur Hispania scenario (1180-1185), in Japan there was the Gempei-War between the different families for power and title (shogun). The japanes map is very different (and thus interesting) from Hispania. But the necessary units are effectively the same / very similar. Fortresses are highly important, too. And alliances (loyal of changing?) are necessary for everyone.

Let me know what you think about it

Re: New scenario proposal

Postby psantos » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 pm

Hi,

That seems an interesting situation to simulate in Almansur!. Your collaboration would be very much welcomed. To make scenarios it is not necessary to code. Basicaly, each scenario is a collection of csv files (can be produced with any spreadsheet software). If there is interest, I can write something about it in the wiki, and answer some questions you might have.

Postby Herman Von Salza » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:18 am

Hi, I would not want to dismiss the idea of doing maps in other areas and realities. But I think an easier way of refreshing things would be to expand the scenarios you do have. The plan I have read about for expanding the Hispania map into Europe is just fine. you just have to get around to it.

There is a separate thread about problems with inactive players. One of the possible solutions is just more playable provinces (coming with map expansion),because in a bigger group those few players will have less impact. I think the map could also benefit from this because people get too hung up on the religious war. The religious wars at this time were not really religious for most participants, they were easy excuses to attack their neighbours and gain wealth and land. By expanding the map further into europe (or northern africa for that matter) you include other areas with different interests. People will be forced to work in a wider plan not just US against THEM. For example what will french provinces do seeing those in Spain doing well? Will they help out of a Christian vs Muslim motivation or will they use the situation and try to cut a bit of land from the back of the other christian provinces? On the other side the muslims were far from being in harmony, some were though to be heretics by other muslim factions for being too liberal etc. So new conflicts could develop along those lines as well.

A separate case is the fantasy maps. here I would suggest rather than random maps try to make a realistic looking maps, it may but does not have to be based on a real world one. Then place players in logical places, orks in swamps dwarves in mountains etc. The current maps with a bit of everything everywhere are ok to play but they seem a bit fake.

Still I agree with Tonic, you guys have a good system it works well, just concentrate on expanding it. In my view the biggest advantage this system has is that it largely takes away the advantage from people who are willing to spend 23 hours a day at the computer (which is the way to win in other games). Here your strategy and choices matter much more than the time you put in, as long as you put in a certain basic amount (30 minutes usually is ok). This advantage makes this the game of choice for all us grown up kids who have jobs and families but still want to play a computer game from time to time and can't match 14 year olds for the sheer volume of time they can happily waste at the computer screen. ;)

Postby psantos » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Yes, France and Western parts of the HRE are already done and I have at this point a half-made map of Britain. In fact the period 1135-1153 was a pivotal period in European History, and recreating it was one of my goals when creating Almansur.

In the beginning of this period Alphonso I of Aragon and Henry II of England died disturbing Spain and France-England balances, the Almorhavids started losing control of Muslim Spain being attacked by both Christians (in Spain) and the fundamentalist Almohads (in North Africa and from 1147, Spain), there were wars in Italy between the Normans of Sicily and the Holy Roman Emperor.

Of course, further east we have the Eastern Roman Empire, still a very powerful force, and the second crusade...

Unfortunately, some of these must wait naval transport to be implemented....

Postby Herman Von Salza » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:34 pm

Easiest way to implement sea transport is to give an option to pay for an army to travel to a different sea port. This would happen without implementing any ship units. It would take some turns depending on distance and the army would either get transported more or less intact or be destroyed. Depending on where it was going to (friendly, enemy or neutral territory willing to grant passage) and if it was big enough to break through the defenses in the coastal province (which should have an advantage in defense). This would be a simplified way of doing it. In the long term you will probably have to include some sea units but in the beginning this is an easier way. And in the time period not a lot of countries had big standing navies, mostly they tried to spring a surprise attack on each other with hired/gathered fleets.

Then again, at some point the ships will probably be necessary...

Postby Tonic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:48 am

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply - just came back from a looong vacation (in Andalusia actually, visiting some of the places of the Hispania Scenario ;-) )

So, yes, I would be interested and willing to help with a new scenario if I am able to do it. So if you put some information together, let's give it a try.
If I'm to dumb to do it, well, it was worth a try. :-)

I agree with "Herman" that the expansion of the european map or other european regional maps are interesting. Many possibilites come easily to mind ... eastern mediterreranian, english civil war, the italian city states, central europe ... the normans etc

But since there are a lot of scenarios, even fantasy, I would also still like the idea of setting up an "exotic" scenario in Japan.

Regarding naval warfare / sea transport - I might be wrong, but naval warfare at that time was mostly quite similar to land battles, I think. The ships sail close to each other and try to board each other to fight hand-to-hand. So maybe in the first step you just use a "container" (like a moveable fortress/underground city) to put troops into.
Or even simpler, armies at sea just cost more upkeep but otherwise act just like on land?

Regards,
Tonic

Postby psantos » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 pm

Ok, I will contact you by private email so we can discuss the details.

Return to The Round Table